We are seeking an Experienced Glassblower, or Junior Glass-blowing Apprentice with the right attitude and skill set to join our team. If you are a dedicated professional with experience working with hot glass, we invite you to apply to join our passionate and creative team.
If you are a student, or someone looking for part-time hours who is motivated to learn the foundation skills necessary to work in our glassblowing studio, we encourage you to tell us why you think you would be a great fit for this position.
Company: Glass Roots Inc.
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick
Position Type: Part-time, possibility of full-time (up to 35 hrs/week)
About Us: Glass Roots Inc is a small glassblowing studio & gallery based in Saint John, New Brunswick. With over 40 products in our catalogue, we make hand-formed blown and hot sculpted glass for retail and export, a line of crystal ash memorials, a roster of custom glass awards, commissions, corporate gifts, and more.
Salary: Compensation starting between $18 to $22 per hour, depending on the candidate and qualifications.
Job Description: As an Experienced Glass Artist or Apprentice at Glass Roots Inc, you will be responsible for creating, shaping, and finishing glass products using both hot glass and cold working techniques. You will work collaboratively with our Master Glassblower to produce high-quality, unique glass pieces that meet our artistic and quality standards.
The right candidate will be responsible for some or all of the of the following tasks:
• Set up the studio daily, including preparing the hot shop for production and cleaning it at the beginning and end of each day.
• Assist in making products from our catalogue, including ornaments, tabletop sculptures, blown glass vases, glasses and more.
• Experience, or ability to learn how to gather hot glass and use marver
• Employ a range of hot glassworking tools, such as blowpipes, jacks, and punty rods.
• Charge the furnace, perform basic equipment maintenance and maintain a clean and safe working environment.
• Use cold working machinery, hand tools, and techniques to refine and finish glass pieces, including grinding, polishing, and engraving glass.
• Pay attention to detail and ensure the highest level of precision and quality in cold working processes.
• Contribute to the design and execution of custom glass pieces as per customer requests.
• Host live demonstrations, engage with visitors and answer questions
• Teach a set curriculum to groups of 2-3 people
• Inspect finished glass items for defects and ensure they meet our quality and artistic standards.
• Collaborate with the team to continuously improve and innovate glassblowing and cold working techniques.
• Work closely with our team to achieve artistic goals and meet production schedules.
• Proven experience as a Glassblower with a portfolio of your work.
• Proficiency in hot glassblowing techniques, including gathering, blowing, shaping, and colouring glass.
• Strong cold working skills, including cutting, grinding, polishing, and engraving.
• Knowledge of different types of glass and their properties.
• Attention to detail and a keen eye for artistic quality.
• Strong problem-solving and teamwork skills.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative studio environment.
• Knowledge of safety procedures and a commitment to maintaining a safe workplace.
How to Apply:
If you are a passionate and skilled Glassblower with experience in both hot glass and cold working techniques, we invite you to apply for this exciting opportunity. Please submit your resume, a cover letter, and a portfolio showcasing your glassblowing and cold working work.
If you are a novice and would like to apply to become our junior part-time apprentice glassblower, please send us a cover letter stating your unique skills and abilities, including any hobbies you are passionate about and why you think you would like to pursue the art of glassblowing.
Glass Roots Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and supportive work environment. We look forward to receiving your application and learning more about your unique talents and contributions to our team.
We offer a competitive salary that is based on your skills and experience. You'll have opportunities to develop your skills and receive training in the art of glassblowing. Our work environment is collaborative and creative, allowing you to contribute to the creation of unique and beautiful glass pieces. You'll also have exposure to the world of glass art, which would be a great opportunity to expand your knowledge.
Curtis Dionne left home at a young age to pursue craft and design. He took up glass blowing with Masters from the Glass City of Guadalajara. In 2008 Curtis bought a homestead in rural New Brunswick where he built a fourteenth century style wood-fired furnace and began Glass Roots Inc.
In 2021 Curtis and his partner Charlotte MacLeod relocated their family to Saint John, New Brunswick to start their own public glass studio. Glass Roots was slated to relocate their studio to Union Street, in Saint John in summer of 2021 but the furnace’s industrial designation prevented that from happening. Glass Roots found themselves operating in a basement workshop located on Canterbury Street. The workshop fronts a parking lot, connected to an alleyway. While not the most idyllic location it was supposed to be temporary. The landlord insisted the locale is a diamond in the rough.
By winter 2022 Glass Roots workshop was in full swing but lacked its own retail space to sell blown glass when a ground level office space became available next door. Glass Roots opened their blown glass studio gallery in uptown’s historic trinity gallery district in June. The gallery features two showrooms displaying blown glass on the main level inside 89 Canterbury Street. The workshop is in the adjacent building across the alley. Thanks to the close proximity to the gallery, guests are invited to watch live glassblowing when the workshop is open.
In January 2023 Glass Roots expanded the workshop and moved equipment into an adjoining building. The new addition had remained boarded up for decades until the derelict building was turned into a functioning studio. The new workspace includes a viewing area for guests to sit and watch glassblowing.
Glass Roots gallery entrance is located on the corner of Canterbury and Duke Streets, opposite Saint John High School, just 2 blocks up from the entrance of the award winning Area 506 Container Village, and cruise ship terminal.
Charlotte brings a bit of hot glass to Curtis in the studio.
Master Glassblower, founder of Glass Roots, and fearless leader.
Originally from Cape Brenton. When things are tough Charlotte makes sure everything is even keel in the studio and gallery.
Rachel started Glass Roots' first retail shop, she now balances our books and sells business-to-business. In August 2023, she opened a storefront in Montague, PEI.
Caitlin attended NSCAD where she studied craft and design. She works in our studio gallery in Saint John greeting everyone, and developing our website.
Chanel attended NSCAD where she studied art history and sculpture. She works in our Saint John gallery, greeting customers and making sure all of our displays sparkle!
Shop beautiful blown glass in Montague, Prince Edward Island! Place custom orders that will be made in our studio in Saint John, New Brunswick.
588 Main Street, Montague, PE, Canada, C0A1R0
09:00 a.m. – 05:00 p.m.